vii ) Mathematics Activities
ECDE children should be able to :-
- Acquire understanding of the basic mathematical skills and concepts
- Acquire positive attitude towards mathematics in order to influence the children to develop the right attitudes towards mathematics.
- develop suitable activities to facilitate acquisition of the skills and concepts
- develop suitable material and activities for young children
- Sorting and grouping
- Pairing and matching
- Number recognition
- Rote counting
- Number value
- Ordering and sequencing
- Scarce resources to provide adequate quality service for the children.
- Teaching leaning towards examination
- Insufficient assessment of competencies.
- Activities are teacher driven rather than child centered.
- Large enrolment poses challenges for teacher 1:46
- Inadequate research about children’s and Centre development
- Unfriendly learning environment
- Cultural activities eg babysitting, herding promote absenteeism and late enrolment in preschool.
- Inadequate teacher self-monitoring/ reflection after lesson presentation.
- Skills in development of materials using locally available resources.
- Inadequate knowledge and skills in imparting life skills and advocacy on child rights.